Community Needs Assessment Intern
Job Description: Community Needs Assessment Intern – 8 hrs/wk
Are you ready to put your compassion and education to work? Do you have a passion to improve the lives of the poor and disabled? Do you want to help create community outreach programs from the ground up? Would you like to grow your skills by working with other experienced helpers? If so, we have a great opportunity for you!
Centenary-Chenango Street UM Church is located in the high needs neighborhood of Binghamton’s North Side. We are surrounded by low income individuals and families including many folks with a variety of disabilities, especially developmental and alcohol and drug related. There are very few services and we would like to assess the needs and see what needs we can address.
We are seeking a Community Needs Assessment Intern who is a self-starter. We would like to develop and administer a simple community survey to determine what our neighbors see as their highest priority. This is an unpaid internship for 8 hours per week, designed to meet requirements to be credit bearing for Binghamton University students. Internship opportunities may include but are not be limited to:
· Help recruit volunteer individuals/groups to reestablish free community meals
· Learn about the community and other local not for profit agencies here
· Work with the church to develop a simple neighbor survey
· Recruit other BU student volunteers to help distribute and get surveys completed and tabulated
· Use survey results to design and prioritize programs to meet community needs
· Help to develop expanded volunteer resources to carry out the high priority programs
The successful applicant will bring much of the following:
· Prefer Junior, Senior or Graduate level student with 3.0 GPA or higher with some coursework in human development and/or social work
· Successful candidate should have a passion for helping others: children, the poor, disabled and addicted
· Prefer student in Human Development, Education, Social Work, Community Research & Action
Apply through hireBING. Please send introductory letter, resume and listing of applicable courses and experience. We look forward to meeting you and to you becoming part of our team.